St Michael's, Horton

|   Home Page   |
|   Contact Us   | |   Services   | |   Churchyard   | |   Travelling Home   | |   Weddings   | |   History   | |   Community   |
                                   |   Site & Setting   | |   The Building   | |   Restoration   | |   The Churchyard   |

History - The Churchyard

Both the lych gate and flint churchyard wall date from 1886. The other walls, associated with the former Place House, have massive C16th bricks measuring 14 × 6 × 4½ (35 × 15 × 11cm).

The Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus glandulosa) was planted near the lychgate in 1973 to replace a giant yew which was destroyed in a storm in 1970.

Nearby are some C19th wooden leaping-board grave markers. This unusual style of monumnet is found occasionally in south-east England in wood, stone or cast iron.

Monumental Inscriptions