St Michael's, Horton

|   Home Page   |
|   Contact Us   | |   Services   | |   Churchyard   | |   Travelling Home   | |   Weddings   | |   History   | |   Community   |
                                   |   Site & Setting   | |   The Building   | |   Restoration   | |   The Churchyard   |

History - The Building

The Restoration of 1876/7

This extensive and quality restoration was undertaken by John Oldrid Scott (1842-1913), son of Sir George Gilbert Scott).

The restoration cost 3,000, towards which Queen Victoria subscribed 50. Dating from this restoration are the pews in chestnut; the pulpit, screen and lectern. The oak pulpit has panels carved in 1888 by a former resident, Mrs Hancock; within it is a consecration cross.

The north porch was restored, a new north door and hingest made, the floor was re-laid with red tiles and a selection of tombstones was laid down the aisles. (Other tombstones found their way to the (Old) Rectory garden!).

Scott's plan of the church prior to the restoration is on the west wall. It shows the west doorway to the south aisle, box pews for the gentry and, against the tower arch, stairs to a gallery.